Sunday, June 13, 2010

NEWTOWN GALLERY- PROJECT 3

NEWTOWN.

SITE VISIT ->

Visiting the busy suburb of Newtown and the even busier King Street you can definitely sense a buzz in the atmosphere. From the eclectic buildings (mainly built in the 19th and 20th centuries- and are heritage listed) to the street art and posters along the street there is a feeling of a suburb that has not completely succumbed to consumerism, but finds creative ways to entertain and inspire people. I also noticed a drive for social justice, having a voice and making a difference in this community. The principle element that struck me with this notion of "a voice" and being inspired to better the world is embodied in the "I have a dream" aboriginal mural near site 3, my chosen site. This will later form the parti for my museum design.


--Basic site analysis for site 3.
-- Aboriginal "I have a Dream" mural- near site 3
-- view from site 3 across king street
-- back entrance to site 3 via laneway
-- deep openings in apartments next to site 3. I would like to incorporate this into my design to maintain links in the streetscape.
-- Apartments next to Site 3
-- historical monuments
-- High traffic flow
-- Some modern square dwellings on the off-streets
-- Aboriginal mural



-- Park nearby

-- eclectic nature of King Street
-- new meets old (Berkelouw books)




No comments:

Post a Comment